Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Snipe Hunt

Jonas officially has a favorite movie, and it is "Up". As far as childrens' movies go, this is about as far at the top of the barrel as you could hope for, so we're cool with this being his favorite movie. This movie gets watched in part or in whole every day for the past 2 weeks at least, and while Jonas does not acknowledge that it is called "Up", he asks to "see Devin" and "see Row-douu and Devin!" (russell and kevin... he's pretty far off on his "Russell" for the while.) Brandon and I have concluded that we can, in fact, watch this movie daily, as we have done so for 2 weeks and still laugh at Doug and various other scenes. Anyway...



Yesterday after dinner, we went over to see our long lost neighbors who had finally returned from their nearly 2 month trip to the Dominican Republic. Jonas was ecstatic. He had eaten his dinner fast and shot outside with us babbling the whole time "I want see Deenee, I want see Obi! I like Deenee, I like Obi! I like deenee a lot... I like..." and then he saw their shrubbery. They have several of those zebra-striped hosta looking plants in front of their house, and Jonas, without even a second thought to what he had been doing moments before, diverted from the path and walked straight over to the plants. He bent over, looked under them and said "Snipe, where aah' you??"
And so began the first of what I expect to be many Snipe hunts.

Jonas continued to putter around the plants, babbling the entire time:

"'nipe! 'nipe! **clap clap clap** where aaaaah' youuuuu? I have cho-co-late fuh you! Sniiiiii-iiipe! (yes sometimes he pronounces the "S") **commmmme ouuuuut! see Jonas.... I nice."

Of course, the entire time he is clapping, and crouching over, and looking back to us to explain things with the occasional head nod.... these really made the snipe hunt entertaining... such as when he would be talking about the chocolate, he would look over at us and say "Snipe like cho-co-late. Row-douu have cho-co-late he feed snipe! I feed snipe cho-co-late.", the whole time nodding as if to say "I've remembered correctly, right?"

Finally, Jonas decided he saw a snipe. He screamed "I SEE HIM!! I SEE DEVIN SNIPE! I DASE (chase) HIM!" at which point he took off running with his arms out to catch the snipe. He finally stopped running and turned to announce his capture "I HAVE DEVIN! I HAVE 'NIPE! I TID-LEL-NING HIM! TID-NULL TID-NULL TID-NULL" (making tickeling motions in the air, and bursting with pride at his capture).

Jonas decided to let the snipe go, and then hunted him again. At one point in his hunt, he stopped and looked off in the distance and said "uh-oh, oh no! the beh-dos duming!" we were confused, as i'm sure you are reading this. he said it again, this time more panicked, starting to grab his face and bounce with panic. Then we put it together.. he was saying the bad dogs were coming, which (naturally) happens in the movie. He turned and said "RUN DEVIN! RUN! THE BEH-DOS DUMING!!" So cute! He probably snipe hunted for about 30 min before we made him come inside. Note to self (or brandon): remember to tell his teachers about snipe hunting. He may try to do it at school...

No comments:

Post a Comment